Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Girl's Week: Pose with Angles




If you look, in most pictures you will find me angled to the side, face tilted toward the camera, and I will have one (or occasionally both) hand on my hip. It’s not that I’m pretending I’m a model, it’s not that I’m trying to look “glamourous,” I just know that when I create angles I look better.

When I turn my body away from the camera and look back, I am making myself look more slender. If I stood straight in front of the camera it would be capturing my widest parts and would make me look bigger. When I turn, I control how much mass the camera sees. People are look wider if we measure from the left side to the right side then they are if we measure from belly button to center of back. Show the small angle to the camera and you’ll look tinier.

Then there’s the arm. If I left my arm straight down it becomes part of my body and makes it look wider. It’s like an extension of my waist. No woman wants to look bigger than she is. So I take one hand and put it on my hip. This creates space between my waist, and elbow. There’s that triangle of nothing in between my arms and side. This makes my waist look smaller. It defines the same of my waist and because my elbow and arm is out, it makes my waist look small. I usually hide my other arm behind my body because I’m at an angle toward the camera, but if I’m straight on to the camera, I can put both hands on my hip.

Any time you can create angles with your body the better off you’ll be. That means turning at an angle, turning your head slightly in the opposite direction, creating angles with your arms and even creating angles with your legs if you are sitting or kneeling down.

Go stand in front of your full length mirror and practice you angles. You’ll end up finding some great ones that work for you and you’ll find some that you should definitely never do again! Now you’ll know for you’re next photo session! AND you can rock the shot the next time you and your girl friends are hanging out snapping some new facebook pics!

Be sure to check out our:

Website * Facebook * Blog * Bridal Blog * Twitter * Senior Photography Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Quality, affordable modern photography We accommodate: *Weddings *Trash the Dress *Engagement *Maternity *Newborns *Babies *Family Portraits *Portraits *Senior Portraits *Head Shots *Pet Portraits *Events *Bands and Musicians *Vehicles *Commercial Advertising *etc see our website www.kmrobinsonphotography.com for price listings Also check us out on facebook!!