Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hats off to the newborns


I love newborn photography! I love the sleep little posed photos you get within those first twelve days after they are born. I love the little blankets you just them on. I love the little hats and headbands they wear, I love the tutus and angel wings you put them in. I just love newborn shoots! No matter what the photos make everyone say “awwwwww!”

I have been drooling over some of the adorable crocheted hats I have seen in photos from some of the fantastic newborn photogs that I follow and learn from. And then I saw the price tag-yikes. So instead of spending a on of money on these hats and headbands-I taught myself how to crochet.

Yes, that’s right, I bought some hooks and some yarn. There was a little book that came with it that I looked at to find out how to start crocheting. Once I learned that I tried watching a youtube video that was much to fast for me to keep up with (probably because instead of learning the basics I jumped right into hat making) I tried it once myself and ended up making it into a flower. I tried it their way and decided I didn’t like it and also turned it into a flower/snowflake-like thing.

Then I did it my way but didn’t pull it as tight and viola-a little pink beanie hat with a light pink flower perfect for the newborn shoot I have coming up.


Then, I tried it again with a different yarn. It was going along wonderfully until I jumped the gun a bit on the top part and it bunched up a little on the top. But with the bunching all even, it ended up being the cutest navy blue beret.

Next step as a light brown hat that I didn’t pull as tightly when I was crocheting and ended up being much bigger than expected so that got turned into a diaper cover with a bunny tale on the back side. I made a matching hat with long floppy bunny ears and the set is sooooo cute!

And now that I’ve figure out all this and have the hang of it I have several projects going at once, including a light yellow hat with bear ears on it (think Winnie the Pooh sort of) that I’m working on. And of course there were multiple crocheted head bands scattered throughout the hat making process as well!

I’m so excited to use these in my next newborn shoot (which actually is sometime this coming week!! Yay!!)

So I just thought I’d share that I have discovered a great new talent that now gives me something to do on my breaks when I’m subbing. The products of this talent will gracing my newborn photo shoots from now on (plus can you say homemade gifts for future baby showers?!?!)

Like I always say, why buy something when you can easily learn to do it yourself!! Yay for being crafty!

Be sure to check out our:

Website * Facebook * Blog * Bridal Blog * Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Quality, affordable modern photography We accommodate: *Weddings *Trash the Dress *Engagement *Maternity *Newborns *Babies *Family Portraits *Portraits *Senior Portraits *Head Shots *Pet Portraits *Events *Bands and Musicians *Vehicles *Commercial Advertising *etc see our website www.kmrobinsonphotography.com for price listings Also check us out on facebook!!